Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MDRA General
 Drag Racing Tips
 How to reduce the financial burdon of drag racing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Herb

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  19:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please share ways the you make drag racing less of a financial burdon. Thank you.

Russ Elzy

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  12:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This a hobby to me, I drive my car to the track, then I make the nessessary adjustments to the car to race. I also have a membership in AAA plus, which will tow me 100 miles, which I've used when the differential went out, and then a month later when the transmission went also. I did tow my car to Topeka though.
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  13:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i stop at davey hamilton's racing shop on tuesday nights and drink all his beer, and apply the savings of not having to buy my own to my racing operation!! shake&bake
Go to Top of Page

4-door Chevelle
Administrator

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  18:26:38  Show Profile  Visit 4-door Chevelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Russ, I drive my daily driver to the track and race it. Kind of like the old "race what ya brung" saying. I got my slicks off E-bay a few years ago for $30 plus shipping and they work great. Each spring I do a little upgrade or upkeep on the car which is usually under $1000 and I am usually good for the racing season. I always camp on-site and bring a cooler of food and drinks. For everything it is usually about a $150 weekend!

Darren
1972 Chevelle
1970 Chevelle
Go to Top of Page

Hoover
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  22:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't have to be the fastest car at the track. Many of us have been caught up in the need for speed. I know and hear lots of racers that would spend their last dollor to dip into the 9's or 8's. It takes a lot of money to get there and then once you are there, now it really costs. Even at mid 10's I have broken just about every part on the drive-line. Just spend more money to get better and stronger parts. If you have a good working car that runs the number, be happy and save the money. Look at some of our members who win time after time. Look at Schmall's, Roehrs, or notible red 69 Nova. Not real fast cars but very consistant. Yellow works better.
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  18:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another way we cut cost on our racing operation is makin our own fuel for the tow rig and the race cars, my crew chief al and his brother mikey have built a digester and by using a mixture of sheep manure, banana peels and some out dated beer we get from my brother george, they have come up with some pretty interesting combinations and octane levels,i understand the diesel will run on heavier levels of sheep manure, while the racecars like more alcohol! way to go guys, keep up the good work. shake&bake
Go to Top of Page

andyschmall

245 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  01:38:11  Show Profile  Visit andyschmall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_bate.html

all you need are some chickens!!
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  09:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good one andy but i am allergic to chickens!
Go to Top of Page

steveroehrs

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  10:53:27  Show Profile  Send steveroehrs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now I'm confussed...Are you alergic to BBQ chicken?
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  13:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no steve, just live ones! p.s. you spelt confused wrong!
Go to Top of Page

nobox

129 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  17:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow the bullshipper is a spelling expert..................

Lee
Dugdale
Go to Top of Page

nobox

129 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  18:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herb to ans your question, and get back to the topic.

W I N

Lee
Dugdale
Go to Top of Page

Travis Sorokie

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  13:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Travis Sorokie's Homepage  Send Travis Sorokie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
2-day events are nice in the fact that you tow once, and race twice. But, you have 2x the entry fee as well.

I've been racing closer to home over the past couple of years.

Plus, I try to get a few sponsors to help off set my costs...

See ya in Staging!!!
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  22:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our biggest one to make drag racing less of a financial burdon is by leavin the wife and kids at home, no extra wristbands to buy and if she works while i'm gone the extra money comes in handy at the end of the month! shake&bake
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  23:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dynoing our engines with our home made dyno helped quite abit this year so far!shake&bake
Go to Top of Page

soulfisher

59 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  07:00:02  Show Profile  Visit soulfisher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best way to keep something from being a burden -- enjoy it.

Now, reducing the cost is another story. Racing your daily driver has to be the lowest cost way to go. Winning is helpful. Not racing in every event that you can - gambler, points, multiple classes, etc. will keep your cost down in fees the weekend, but then you'll spend more time in the pits and may head home early.

I have to agree, going into the 9s is expensive. Always said it was and now I know (I hope, don't have the time slip yet.) $60 jacket now replaced with about $400 of fire retardant clothing. Cage, extra shields, etc. adds up.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on this subject - especially this year. Don't tell my wife that it is even possible to keep the cost down.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MDRA Forum © Midwest Drag Racers Association Go To Top Of Page