One Wire Power Master Alt.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  18:06:19  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought the 1 wire power master alt. for the race car. Im assumming the one wire I run goes all the way back to the off / on switch so when you turn the switch off the car kills. My question is "What guage does that wire have to be and does it go all the way to the off/on switch" ? Any options on this ?

I noticed the coronet has the two wire factory mopar alt.
1- field and 1-power.
Both wires are not that large at all and have avg. size terminals on them. Why does the one wire power master directions suggest I run
2 gauge all the way back ? I have 20' of one guage cable but that seems like overkill doesn't it ? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Dave Engler

Edited by - 70 Boys on 04/28/2009 21:15:58

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  22:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bring the alternator directly to the battery, unless you have a 4-post cutoff switch with a post dedicated to the alternator. If so, make sure the switch has large lugs and is rated to handle the current generated by the alternator, like the Cole Hersee 75912. That is probably the best and cleanest way to go.

If you go directly to the battery you will be fine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the alternator from being hot all the time by putting one of these relays between the alternator and battery so that you can sever that connection by turning off the main power. http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless/764/50105/10002/-1

Perhaps our resident electronics guru could hook you up with a cheaper "unbranded" continuous duty relay that will handle the job.

I would go with 4 or 6 gauge wire.

Tony Leonard
Go to Top of Page

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  22:39:31  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I called but no answer.
Go to Top of Page

FastnFurious

130 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  23:01:47  Show Profile  Visit FastnFurious's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I missed your call Dave, out working on the race cars. Give me a call tomorrow or now if you wish.

Joe Schmall
Go to Top of Page

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  21:57:54  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll give you a call this weekend. I've been outside getting things together as well lately. Thanks Joe !

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MDRA Forum © Midwest Drag Racers Association Go To Top Of Page