Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MDRA General
 Drag Racing Technical Issues
 Where to get large slicks mounted/balanced?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  02:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do Twin Cities racers get their large slicks mounted and balanced? A friend does our 9" ones at a Goodyear shop for free, but they don't have anything that can handle 16" wide wheels.

The last set was done at Norm's Tire in Little Canada but it cost well over $100. I know there are cheaper options if I'd like to drive north to Tom Schmidt's in Chisago City or Westra's place in St. Cloud, but there has to be something right in the cities that I don't know about.

Tony Leonard

badd65
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  07:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure about the north side but, Scott Berghammer runs the Tires Plus
in Red Wing. He has always treated my wheels like they are valuable.
Based on the tires he runs on his car, i would say he is the safest bet
on the south side for big slicks.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  08:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on the south side (Inver Grove Heights) but would be willing to drive around the cities a little bit. I do need to make a methanol run to Wilson Oil in Red Wing sometime this week so that is a GREAT tip!

Tony Leonard
Go to Top of Page

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  09:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The owner of the Goodyear shop in Inver Grove Heights has a street/strip Chevelle. I stopped in there this morning and he told me they could do them.

Tony Leonard
Go to Top of Page

TIN INDIAN

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  21:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do them myself. I bubble balance them with 10 years of no issues. I did Joey Marx's last year and I think he is happy. The charge Beer !
Have to drive to Hanover.

Its an option and cheap

Davey
Go to Top of Page

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:10:46  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tech motorsports in Elk River does them pretty cheap.
Its A Rock Falls raceway sponsor too !

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  22:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodyear wrestled with them today but can't fit them on their machine and are afraid to damage the wheel, which is good to hear. The owner wants a crack at them in the morning. I am running out of time so I might need to bite the bullet at Norm's again over lunch. I got 3 drums of methanol for only $1.50/gallon today so might as well blow the savings someplace else. Stupid racing!

All of these suggestions are good to know. The 16 x 16 wheel is my real problem here. Should convert them to beadlocks and mount the tires myself, but I don't feel they are needed for safety and don't want to add 20 pounds of unsprung weight!

Tony Leonard
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  23:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Davey is pretty good at em,grab a case of beer and give em a call!I do spin balance the front runners,But Davey Bubbles those Rears Like a tire pro out of the 60's,,,Good Luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Lenny5160

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  23:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think breaking the bead on the old ones and getting them off is the big problem. Running out of time though; have softball tomorrow (Thursday) night and leaving for BIR first thing Friday morning.

Besides, Dave needs to get all of his tools laid out so he can get that Poncho together in minimal time Friday night.

The forecast is starting to suggest I mount Blizzaks instead of the Sticky Mickeys for Saturday's action.

Tony Leonard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MDRA Forum © Midwest Drag Racers Association Go To Top Of Page